Thursday, January 02, 2014

Two-Week Pantry Challenge

It's a new year and my pantry and freezer are full of bits and bobs of random ingredients.

Time to clean it out!

We'll be doing a two-week pantry challenge this month in preparation for starting the Whole30 cleanse on January 18.

Time will tell, but I don't think I'll need to purchase much in the way of groceries to get us through the next two weeks. So my financial goal with this challenge is to spend $300 for both January and February groceries. $300 is the amount I normally spend each month on groceries so to make it stretch for two months would be awesome! Don't know if it's totally doable with the cleanse (meat, produce, healthy fats) but I'm going to give it a try. February is a short month too, which should help me out!

Even spending $400 instead of $600 for two months would be good! We have a couple savings goals this year and being able to save $200 or more in the first two months of the year would make me very happy!

I'm starting the challenge today since we just got back yesterday from spending time with family. I'll update a couple of times during the challenge as to what we're eating and how we're doing money-wise.

Anyone else eating from their pantry this month in order to clean things out and save a little cash? 

2 comments:

Trish said...

Yes! When I took a look at our finances from last year I was shocked how much we wasted and I vowed to do better, starting with our grocery budget. My goal is to buy nothing this month but necessary fruits and veggies to supplement what we already have the pantry, fridge and freezer. I think we can do it! Then in February we'll hopefully start fresh :)

Wendi said...

I am only purchasing milk and fresh fruit & veggies this month. We have a family vacation to the beach this summer and some financial goals to reach this year.